Cover image: PA
- The Ukrainian president is expected in Washington today. According to CNN, which cites two sources, Volodymyr Zelensky is on his way to the United States, for a visit kept secret until the last moment. He is scheduled to meet with congressional leaders on Wednesday, as well as elected officials serving on a parliamentary committee on national security. The Ukrainian leader is also expected to speak during a plenary session of Congress. The two heads of state should finally meet at the White House.
- Mr. Zelensky went yesterday to Bakhmout, a city in the east ravaged by intense fighting. During his trip to the front, the Ukrainian president received a flag signed by fighters and declared: “We are going to give it to the American Congress, to the American president. We are grateful for their support, but it is not enough. » Troops from Moscow have been trying since the summer to seize the city, ravaged by fighting.
- Most of the fighting is currently concentrated in the east of the country. After a series of Russian military setbacks in northeastern and southern Ukraine, Vladimir Putin admitted on Tuesday that the situation was “extremely difficult” in the four regions of southern and eastern Ukraine, whose annexation Moscow claims without having entirely conquered them.
- The Russian president appeared on television on Tuesday. He presented decorations in the Kremlin to pro-Russian separatist soldiers and leaders from eastern Ukraine. “Our country has repeatedly faced challenges and defended its sovereignty. Today, Russia is again facing the same challenge”did he declare.
- Mr. Putin wants today to draw the conclusions of the past year and set the objectives of his army for 2023. At a major meeting scheduled for Wednesday, involving fifteen thousand officials, the Minister of Defense, Sergei Shoigu, will report in particular on “the state of progress of the special military operation” in Ukraine.
- Emmanuel Macron maintains his position on the “guarantees” to Russia. On Tuesday, the French president confirmed his position on the “guarantees” of security that should be granted to Russia if peace negotiations take place at the end of the war in Ukraine.
- New deliveries of French arms to Ukraine. France recently delivered Crotale rocket launchers and missile batteries to Ukraine and will continue its arms deliveries in early 2023, Mr. Macron also announced in an interview with TF1 and LCI broadcast on Tuesday.
- The World Bank announcedtuesday, grant an additional $610 million to Ukraine, in order to allow the country to “addressing the most urgent needs” health matter. Last week, the institution had granted 2 billion dollars, in order to support the Ukrainian private sector and to finance the preparation of the reconstruction.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Photo documentary. The photographer Adrienne Surprenant has surveyed kyiv in search of the moments of life that the population agrees to on the fringes of the fighting.
Testimony. “When you hear a single ‘boukh’, it’s bad, the missile has exploded. When there are several “boukh”, it’s good, it’s anti-aircraft defense »
Decryption. In Ukraine, the delicate political reinvention of “pro-Russian” deputies, ten months after the start of the war
Grandstand. “Emmanuel Macron was right to recall that agitating the nuclear threat erodes its deterrent effect”
Meet. Serhiy Jadan in the face of Russian “hate”.
Report. In Kherson, “why did the Russians abandon us? »
Maintenance. Denys Chmyhal, Ukrainian Prime Minister: “Russia wants to create a tsunami of refugees, in order to destabilize European countries”
Report. Georgia’s ambiguous neutrality
Survey. The Orthodox Church hounded by the security services
Critical. “My next guest needs no introduction”: Volodymyr Zelensky receives David Letterman in kyiv for Netflix
Grandstand. “Peace in Europe will only be guaranteed after the ‘depoutinisation’ of Russia”
Factual. The European Parliament recognizes the Holodomor, the Ukrainian famine of the 1930s, as a genocide
Decryption. The war in Ukraine, an indirect driver of an ambitious South Korean arms industry
Factual. The answers of the “World” to your most frequently asked questions
War in Ukraine, live: Russia wants to deploy a new hypersonic missile against kyiv and increase the strength of its army to 1.5 million soldiers